POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Statistics : Re: Statistics Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:24:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Statistics
From: Invisible
Date: 29 Jun 2011 09:42:58
Message: <4e0b2be2$1@news.povray.org>
>> Any random drunk that wants to can stagger into a car and proceed to
>> cause utter carnage. You can't really do that with an aeroplane.
>
> Excepting those stories regarding drunk pilots
>
>> A plane undergoes rigorous safety checks every single damned time it
>> goes anywhere. You're *supposed* to do that with a car too. You're
>> literally supposed to check that all the tires look good, etc., every
>> time before you drive off. How many people ever do this?
>
> Yes but just as you're supposed to check a car a plane is also
> *supposed* to be checked; doesn't mean it is.
>
>> Planes are guided by air traffic control. They have two pilots. They
>> have automated computer failsafes. There's less traffic per volume of
>> space to actually hit. Need I continue?
>
> However they're also travelling faster, further, and (allegedly) with
> less allowance for fuel.

Well, it all depends of course. But assuming that the majority follow
the rules, air travel has vastly more safety features. It's not
surprising it's safer. (E.g., regulations demand that all flights set
off with vastly more fuel than actually necessary to reach their
destination. Whether that's followed or not, I can't comment.)