POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Core, look at that... : Re: Core, look at that... Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:23:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Core, look at that...
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 26 Jun 2011 14:51:52
Message: <4e077fc8@news.povray.org>
Le 26/06/2011 20:37, Darren New nous fit lire :
> On 6/26/2011 3:07, clipka wrote:

>> Flash memory would do that, too. But I guess when the military does such
>> things, they know what they want. Robustness against gamma rays or EMP or
>> some such might be a reason.
>
> Well, to be fair, by "modern" I meant "not 1960's", I didn't necessarily
> mean "2011". :-) This was... let's see... 1990 or so?  So maybe they're
> using flash now.

Flash have a limited number of write, not something you want to deal
with in a desert year long operation.
(military helicopters have such a long live time, mechanical maintenance
is ok on field, but electronic maintenance is always long, expensive &
tricky (i.e. not for the sergent)

> Another restriction is that you have to be able to actually erase the
> memory completely, such as in the event of landing in enemy territory. I
> don't know how well flash erases.

Usually a little explosive if all they need... as long as it is not
triggered by the EMP. If the information is really sensitive.
Usually it is not: the main target (or secondary ones) is just
coordinates for that mission. And nowadays, everyone has maps.
The Friend-or-Foe identifiers will be changed by the next day/hour, no
problem either.