POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Core, look at that... : Re: Core, look at that... Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:31:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Core, look at that...
From: Darren New
Date: 26 Jun 2011 14:37:23
Message: <4e077c63$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/26/2011 3:07, clipka wrote:
> Am 25.06.2011 19:44, schrieb Darren New:
>> I knew someone who worked on modern military helicopters, at least some
>> of which also have mag core memory. The thing is, it's non-volatile. You
>> can lose power without wiping out your mission or having to reboot or
>> whatever.
>
> Flash memory would do that, too. But I guess when the military does such
> things, they know what they want. Robustness against gamma rays or EMP or
> some such might be a reason.

Well, to be fair, by "modern" I meant "not 1960's", I didn't necessarily
mean "2011". :-) This was... let's see... 1990 or so?  So maybe they're
using flash now.

Another restriction is that you have to be able to actually erase the memory
completely, such as in the event of landing in enemy territory. I don't know
how well flash erases.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like