POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Core, look at that... : Re: Core, look at that... Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:22:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Core, look at that...
From: Darren New
Date: 25 Jun 2011 13:44:40
Message: <4e061e88$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/25/2011 6:28, Jim Holsenback wrote:
> I worked on a piece of avionics gear that was used to identify submarine
> acoustic signatures ... it was loaded with mag core memory

I knew someone who worked on modern military helicopters, at least some of
which also have mag core memory.  The thing is, it's non-volatile. You can
lose power without wiping out your mission or having to reboot or whatever.

When I was in college, I was working on a big assembly program on a
mainframe. 20 minutes into a 30 minute compile, all the lights go out. I
think "Well, so much for getting this done before lunch."  Three minutes
later, the lights come back on, I start getting messages on the terminal
about disks being inaccessible, and then ten minutes later I get "compile
completed."  So, yeah, there was enough voltage in the capacitors to save
the registers out to memory when the power-fail interrupt came along.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like