POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Core, look at that... : Re: Core, look at that... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:19:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Core, look at that...
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 25 Jun 2011 09:28:23
Message: <4e05e277$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/23/2011 10:22 PM, Stephen wrote:
> On 23/06/2011 3:57 PM, Invisible wrote:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_core_memory
>>

> In the day. A 1K of Honeywell 316 memory was about 1.25" wide, 4" deep
> and about a foot long. The cores were strung by hand.

I worked on a piece of avionics gear that was used to identify submarine
acoustic signatures ... it was loaded with mag core memory

LOL now that I'm strolling down memory lane ... there was also a dipping
sonar that had a tray of FULL of capacitors about the size of a soda pop
can ... they were bussed together with aluminum bars. There was an
eyebrow raising admonishment on the case "Warning: 3000V Unlimited
Current" ... working on that would make the hair on my arm stand up from
the field!

Did anyone see the articles about IBM turning 100 ... it was full of
examples about "back in the day" technology?