POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Core, look at that... : Re: Core, look at that... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:16:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Core, look at that...
From: clipka
Date: 23 Jun 2011 13:04:35
Message: <4e037223$1@news.povray.org>
Am 23.06.2011 16:57, schrieb Invisible:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_core_memory
>
> Oh. I hadn't realised it was this small. I was thinking that the "cores"
> were the same sort of size as the RF filters you still find on some
> cables. (I.e., about 3cm across.) I had therefore imagined that a
> complete core memory would fill an entire rack. (I also read somewhere
> that it was housed in a vat of heated oil to keep the temperature
> constant, and therefore reduce the need to recalibrate.)
>
>  From the look of this photograph, they actually put the stuff on
> "chips" of a sort...

"Memory modules" is probably closer to the mark. 10x10 cm is not what
I'd call a "chip". (Though this is a pretty small example; the core
memory I once had the opportunity to see (and touch) was more like
20x25, probably with a similar capacity.

My favorite memory type is Core Rope Memory though - a type of ROM used
in the Apollo Guidance Computer, to be programmed with a sowing needle.
Bit by bit. Manually, not with an automaton.