POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Core, look at that... : Core, look at that... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:24:14 EDT (-0400)
  Core, look at that...
From: Invisible
Date: 23 Jun 2011 10:57:30
Message: <4e03545a$1@news.povray.org>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_core_memory

Oh. I hadn't realised it was this small. I was thinking that the "cores"
were the same sort of size as the RF filters you still find on some
cables. (I.e., about 3cm across.) I had therefore imagined that a
complete core memory would fill an entire rack. (I also read somewhere
that it was housed in a vat of heated oil to keep the temperature
constant, and therefore reduce the need to recalibrate.)

 From the look of this photograph, they actually put the stuff on
"chips" of a sort...