POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interesting performance comparison of C#s and C++'s : Re: Interesting performance comparison of C#s and C++'s Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:18:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interesting performance comparison of C#s and C++'s
From: Invisible
Date: 23 Jun 2011 04:13:11
Message: <4e02f597@news.povray.org>
On 22/06/2011 08:05 PM, Darren New wrote:

> Sure. And on the third hand, what's typical in a language gets optimized
> in that language.

> That's why it's useful to benchmark "typical" ways of doing things.

What he just said.

I'm sure most compiled languages can be made to go really fast, if you
throw enough effort at the problem. A much more useful question is "how
easy is it?"

I didn't get far with my benchmarking attempt. About the only thing I
managed to prove is "C++ makes it easy to write reasonably fast code.
Haskell makes it jaw-droppingly easy to accidentally write horrifyingly
slow code." Useful to know.