POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lytro Cameras : Re: Lytro Cameras Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:23:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lytro Cameras
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 22 Jun 2011 23:03:37
Message: <4e02ad09$1@news.povray.org>

http://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/lytro-the-camera-that-could-change-photography-forever/

> By capturing more information from the scene, pictures taken with a Lytro camera
> allow you to adjust the focus after the picture has been taken.  The bottom of
> the page linked above has some picttures you can try it out yourself with.
>
> While I'm certain the above pictures were cherry picked to show this capability
> in its best light, I'm very excited about seeing how it works once consumer
> models ship.

Note that if this camera uses techniques anything like what's been
around in the graphics research community for a while now, you'll pay a
hefty price in terms of lower resolution for the ability to change focus
after the fact.  Given that current cameras are beginning to capture
images in much higher resolution than most people view them maybe this
is an okay tradeoff.  The hype in the linked article is a bit over the
top though IMHO.

Also, it shouldn't be too hard at all to get povray to output into a
format you can do this with, although writing the viewer would probably
be a tad trickier (but still probably not too hard, although it's been a
while since I've looked at this sort of stuff).