POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Curious C / C++ defined behavior question : Re: Curious C / C++ defined behavior question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:17:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Curious C / C++ defined behavior question
From: Darren New
Date: 22 Jun 2011 17:04:04
Message: <4e0258c4$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/22/2011 13:07, Warp wrote:
> (but the end result is probably an abort()).

I would be very, very surprised if it wasn't undefined behavior to violate
the limits of the stack space.  There's just no good efficient portable way
of checking on hardware that doesn't do per-access checks (i.e., like a Z80
or something).

 > In many systems the size of the stack can actually be defined from
> the outside (iow. the you tell the OS how much stack space it should reserve
> for the program you are going to run).

And that's why I'm thinking it can't really be implementation-defined,
unless the implementation is allowed to define it as "ask the OS."

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like