POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Three guesses why : Re: Three guesses why Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:25:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Three guesses why
From: Darren New
Date: 22 Jun 2011 12:07:11
Message: <4e02132f$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/22/2011 8:44, Darren New wrote:
> Your email client still works. Your background processes still work.
> Programs trying to open files might get stuck.

Actually, I suspect what's happening is that you put the CD in, and Windows
immediately generates a message saying "hey, your list of valid disks may
have changed." At which point Explorer (and maybe others) goes out over the
list of disks, but Windows is still spinning up the CD and all that, not yet
having determined which file system it is and mounted it, so processes that
do that hang waiting for the disk to mount.

You *could* make a separate thread to handle this one case, but it's
probably not worth it, esp. since you're the only person in my entire career
I've heard complain about it.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like