POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's irritation : Re: Today's irritation Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:29:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's irritation
From: Alain
Date: 22 Jun 2011 11:20:58
Message: <4e02085a$1@news.povray.org>

> Le_Forgeron<lef### [at] freefr>  wrote:
>> Le 22/06/2011 11:57, Invisible a écrit :
>>> For some reason, it really *really* annoys me when people write "i.e."
>>> when they /obviously/ meant "e.g."
>>>
>>> Apparently some people think these mean the same thing.
>>
>> Oh lucky you! (I agree)
>> One thing which annoys me is the usage of the English abbreviation "Mr"
>> in the French writing (where it should be "M.")
>> It goes everywhere, credit card, cheque ("check" for the other side of
>> the pond) and every commercial or business letter.
>> It's unfair, as the ladies have the right values (Mlle or Mme, not some
>> english Miss or Mrs).
>>

> But Monsieur also ends in r, like Mister! :D

In French, abbreviations takes the first 1 to 3 consecutive letters
followed by a dot. They never take the first and last, nor a scattering
of consonnent picked through the word.

So, for monsieur, if you take 2 letters, it should be Mo.(never used),
not Mr, and Mon. (also never used) if you were to take 3 letters.

Alain