POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's irritation : Re: Today's irritation Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:26:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's irritation
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Jun 2011 08:29:03
Message: <4e01e00f$1@news.povray.org>
On 22/06/2011 12:14 PM, Mike the Elder wrote:
> Invisible<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> For some reason, it really *really* annoys me when people write "i.e."
>> when they /obviously/ meant "e.g."
>>
>> Apparently some people think these mean the same thing.
>
> Just ONE irritation... for a WHOLE day?

I've just had to sit through a bunch of procedure documents with this
mistake repeated multiple times.

Curiously, I found this to be less annoying than the bad technical
decisions in the procedures. (Oh, well, it's not like anybody consulted
*my* opinion when they drafted the plan...)

> (Mine are the use of the non-words "irregardless" and "nuke-u-ler" by supposedly
> educated people such as public officials and broadcasters.)

I used to be annoyed by "orientated" when it should of course be "oriented".

I am now of course even more annoyed to discover that not only is
"orientated" a genuine word that does actually exist, but that it's even
the *preferred* word to use in British English. *sigh*

> Have a nice (i.e. pleasant) day. (e.g.  Spend time with good friends, eat tasty
> and nourishing food and avoid all contact with chihuahuas.)

Well, I'm going to go dance with myself tonight. And hopefully no dogs...