POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Still going (slow) : Re: Still going (slow) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:22:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Still going (slow)
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Jun 2011 04:17:21
Message: <4e01a511$1@news.povray.org>
On 21/06/2011 06:48 PM, Warp wrote:

>    This comment at the beginning of scenes/advanced/piece3/piece3.pov still
> amuses me:
>
> // Due to the large number of objects, you will probably have to
> // have a lot of memory to render this scene.
> // Rendering time using a 25Mhz 386 w/Cyrix fpu is approximately 60 hours.
>
>    It doesn't mention the resolution, but with a modern PC you can render
> that scene in almost real-time even at a fair resolution (eg. 640x480).
> Even a high resolution render (such as 1024x768) with antialiasing will
> take less than 10 seconds.
>
>    (Btw, that comment in that scene file should never be removed or modified.
> It's an outstanding testament of how much both PCs and POV-Ray itself have
> advanced during the decades.)

Not just PCs. Take a look at this:

http://new.haveland.com/povbench/graphsky.php

At the bottom, we see that an Amiga powered by various flavours of
Motorola 68000 CPUs (with and without FPU) takes 8 hours to render the
same scene that a modern Intel Core 2 Duo or whatever can do in under 5
seconds.

That's a crapload of speed, right there.