POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Three guesses why : Re: Three guesses why Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:26:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Three guesses why
From: Warp
Date: 18 Jun 2011 07:49:53
Message: <4dfc90e1@news.povray.org>
> Certainly having more cores than the number of instructions the program
> executes is going to be pointless, so mathematically speaking, the law
> *always* applies, even if it's silly in practice to take it to that
> exaggeration.

  I don't think it works like that. Of course each CPU runs the *same* code,
but each on different input data (or partially different, as some of the
input data may well be shared among the threads, only some parameters being
different; POV-Ray 3.7 would be a perfect example of this).

  Perhaps you meant that having more cores than the amount of generated data
would be useless (because each processor has to output at least one bit of
data to be useful). Since generated data typically has quite many bits, it's
not like you would hit this limit any time soon.

--
                                                          - Warp