POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : True failure : Re: True failure Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:22:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: True failure
From: Invisible
Date: 10 Jun 2011 04:28:16
Message: <4df1d5a0$1@news.povray.org>
>    I find most of the "flaws" he points out to be technically speaking
> accurate, but in most cases not annoying at all (especially when playing
> the game for the first time, when you usually don't even notice such things).

The vast majority of games he reviews are games I've never heard of and
will almost certainly never play. For the few games that he's reviewed
and I have actually played, I more or less agree with everything he says.

The difference is, I played Portal 2 and thought "hmm, that wasn't...
quite as fun as I was expecting". He, on the other hand, managed to
elegantly explain /why/ it's not as fun. Much better than I could have
done it, anyway.

>    He has an amazing talent of pointing out flaws in a very entertaining
> way, though, which is why his videos are so enjoyable to watch. Not many
> people have such talent.

Indeed. Where I would have said "nobody was expecting Portal to be this
popular", he said

   "What you have to understand is that nobody really expected Portal to
explode the way it did. It is now approximately as popular as a YouTube
video of a laughing baby riding a startled cat."

I recently discovered Extra Punctuation, which contains gems like

http://tinyurl.com/3ldrhn6

   "The Tiger

   The fierce and beautiful predator of the Indian subcontinent, the
Tiger has the obvious benefits of wild unstoppable strength and
razor-sharp teeth, but also has the ability to capture control points by
widdling all over them, which has the added mixed benefit of making
every other character disinclined to stand on that control point for a
while. What the Tiger loses in long-distance attack ability it gains in
the fact that it's a fucking tiger."

That last sentence seriously made me LOL.