POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Unit Testing question : Re: Unit Testing question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:20:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unit Testing question
From: Warp
Date: 9 Jun 2011 10:56:18
Message: <4df0df12@news.povray.org>
> Why would I want to run the unit tests for the XML parser after making
> changes to the color picker dialog box?  Or, more generally, why would I
> want to run unit tests that are only executing code that hasn't changed
> since last time the unit tests passed?

  No amount of unit tests can catch all possible bugs. You may have a
thousand unit tests for a small module, yet there may still be bugs there.

  In some cases these bugs *might* be triggered by seemingly unrelated
changes somewhere else in the program, even if there is no connection
between the two modules (might be less likely in "safe" languages, but
probably not impossible).

  Unless running the unit tests takes hours, does it hurt to run them?

--
                                                          - Warp