POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Complicated : Re: Complicated Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:17:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Complicated
From: Invisible
Date: 9 Jun 2011 04:34:56
Message: <4df085b0$1@news.povray.org>
> What's unlikely about a computer figuring out the primary pitches of a
> recorded piece of music, comparing it to the primary pitches of other
> music, and deciding they're the same?

Here's one for you: Given a recording of a single pure tone, can you
determine what pitch that is?

Unfortunately, nobody has yet found a way to do this reliably. I've yet
to find a guitar tuner that can perform this apparently trivial task.

Now, you're telling me that you have something that can take a
/non-stationary/ wave containing an arbitrarily complex mixture of tones
that vary over time and actually deduce something meaningful from it?

Further, you're telling me that it can actually do this with such
reliability that it can even recognise completely different renditions
of the same piece of music, without false-positives or false-negatives?

That would be a pretty insane result if it were true.

> Is that more amazing than tineye?

I don't know. Does tineye actually /work/?

More to the point, if I draw a rendition of The Wet Bird in pencil,
would tineye recognise it as the same image? /That/ would be a problem
of comparable difficulty. I don't doubt that you can probably determine
whether two slightly different versions of the same image match, or
whether two slightly different versions of the same sound recording
match. But completely different versions? That would require some insane AI.