POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A retro moment : Re: A retro moment Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:18:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A retro moment
From: Invisible
Date: 8 Jun 2011 09:59:07
Message: <4def802b@news.povray.org>
On 08/06/2011 02:38 PM, Warp wrote:
> Francois Labreque<fla### [at] videotronca>  wrote:
>> 5.25" and 8" drives actually locked the door while the
>> head was moving.
>
>    Ah, the time when disks were actually physically pulled out of the drive
> via manual force, rather than being ejected by a spring mechanism...
>
>    Would you believe I'm too young to have ever used such disk drives?
> I grew up with 3.5-inch hard-covered "floppy" disks. The luxury.

My memory is that on the 5.25" drive I saw, you turned a little knob
(which blocks the slot where the disk goes in). Until you turn this
knob, the drive won't acknowledge the media.

Let me see if I can find an image...

...there we go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_1541

As you can see, with the knob turned, you physically can't move the
disk, because the knob is in the way.