POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The greatest knowledge... : Re: The greatest knowledge... Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:18:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The greatest knowledge...
From: Invisible
Date: 8 Jun 2011 09:20:48
Message: <4def7730$1@news.povray.org>
>>> Why would it be a surprise that IBM is more profitable than Apple?
>>
>> Because, last I heard, the company was in severe financial trouble and
>> was close to being liquidated. To go from that to being one of the most
>> profitable companies on Earth is a pretty big turn-around.
>
> "Last you heard" was in the 80s, and you heard wrong.

OK, fair enough. But given that they were once a big name that everybody
knew and talked about, and now nobody ever mentions their name, it's not
surprising that I got the impression that they weren't doing so well.

> Survived what? The Exxon Valdez disaster was a mere footnote in their
> history.

One of the worst, most infamous ecological catastrophes in human
history, and it's a "mere footnote"?? How did it not end their
existence? How did they not get sued off the face of creation?

> Don't base your financial knowledge on Kevin Costner movies.

There's a movie?