POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The greatest knowledge... : Re: The greatest knowledge... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:30:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The greatest knowledge...
From: Warp
Date: 8 Jun 2011 08:49:29
Message: <4def6fd9@news.povray.org>
> On 6/7/2011 3:40, Warp wrote:
> >    Microsoft, the fourth most profitable company in the world, and they
> > whine and moan about Linux's market share and how free software is killing
> > the industry.

> You know, I've never actually seen MS complain about Linux market share.
> They FUD about GNU licensing and such, and dis the OS and all, but I've
> never heard them "complain". Can you post a link next time you run across
> what you're talking about here?

  I didn't mean to say that Microsoft has explicitly complained about
Linux's market share being too large. On the contrary, they (read: Steve
Ballmer) always remember to proudly proclaim how Windows is the most
popular OS by a large margin (iow. argument ad populum).

  It's their actions and FUD campaigns against free software in general and
Linux in particular that give the clear impression that they are worried
about Linux's market share, especially in large companies, web servers and
such. They clearly see Linux (rather than, say, Mac OS X) as their worst
competitor, especially on those markets, and they seem to be quite eager
to do whatever is necessary to dissuade companies from switching to Linux.

--
                                                          - Warp