POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Complicated : Re: Complicated Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:26:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Complicated
From: Invisible
Date: 8 Jun 2011 04:03:07
Message: <4def2cbb@news.povray.org>
On 07/06/2011 07:49 PM, Aydan wrote:

> As for precision, try the following experiment:
> 1. Sit in front of your computer and put your finger on a key.
> 2. Close your eyes
> 3. wave aroud wildly with your arms
> 4. put the finger back on the key from step one.
> 5. open your eyes
> Did you hit the same key? I doubt it.

News flash: Robots can't do this either.

For example, a hard drive has a "servo track" recorded on one platter,
so that the read/write heads can sense where they are, since the voice
coils that steer the heads can't reliably return to the same location
with the necessary precision.

This, even though those voice coils are controlled by a normal computer,
which is capable of doing perfectly "precise" calculations.

This has nothing to do with the precision of the calculations that the
controller performs, be it a computer or a brain. It's just an inherent
result of mechanical devices being imprecise.

> If you can do that than that's what I'd call precice.
> Moving your finger a few centimeters without watching and hitting a key that is
> more than a finger wide is not precise.

You don't play a musical instrument, do you?

Let me tell you, the black keys are *narrower* than a human finger. And
if you're not careful, your fingers slip off the side. Doesn't sound
very nice...

Anyway, if that fails to convince you, try throwing a ball through a
hoop. By the time you get any feedback about whether you hit or not,
it's far too late to do anything about it; you've already let go of the
ball! And yet, many people manage to throw precisely enough to do this
reliably.

Similar story for anyone who plays darts, snooker, tennis, ...