POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The greatest knowledge... : Re: The greatest knowledge... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:28:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The greatest knowledge...
From: Invisible
Date: 7 Jun 2011 09:36:53
Message: <4dee2975$1@news.povray.org>
>> OK, so most of these aren't particularly surprising. Microsoft, Google,
>> Apple, Intel, IBM, and a few oil companies. It's perhaps slightly
>> surprising that (for example) IBM is more profitable than Apple. But
>> there's no surprise that these guys are all at the top.
>
> Why would it be a surprise that IBM is more profitable than Apple?

Because, last I heard, the company was in severe financial trouble and
was close to being liquidated. To go from that to being one of the most
profitable companies on Earth is a pretty big turn-around.

>> The real surprise is... wait, Exxon? For real?! Jesus, I thought they
>> went bankrupt decades ago... Apparently they're still alive somehow.
>
> Not just somehow... They're one of the bigger players in North America.

That's what's so surprising. Not only have they somehow survived, but
they're profitable. And not just a bit profitable. /Very/ profitable. In
fact /the most/ profitable that it is physically possible to be. That's
really unexpected.