POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Speedy thing goes in... : Re: Speedy thing goes in... Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:21:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speedy thing goes in...
From: Darren New
Date: 7 Jun 2011 09:29:12
Message: <4dee27a8$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/7/2011 1:12, Invisible wrote:
> That being the case, Windows Vista is still the first OS aimed at the casual
> user base which actually has half-decent security.

XP had half-decent security. Pretty much the same security as Vista, except
that Vista runs admin programs in a different screen space to avoid shatter
attacks. You're still logged in as an administrator by default. If you mean
the UAC, most people don't pay any attention to whether that makes sense to
be popping up or not.

> (I would say "so why don't they make a business version with *real*
> security?"

They do. You just have to actually use the one you have.  XP had real
security. About as good as UNIX (and better in some ways) as long as you
didn't log in as administrator by default. No amount of technical security
is going to force people to use it.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like