POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Persistence of Vision : Re: Persistence of Vision Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:26:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Persistence of Vision
From: clipka
Date: 6 Jun 2011 19:59:59
Message: <4ded69ff$1@news.povray.org>
Am 07.06.2011 01:40, schrieb Jim Holsenback:

> Question about pretrace_end ... won't a smaller value make more of the
> samples to be gathered in the final pass? I thought it was better to
> shoot for having the final pass sample count about half the total.

No. The smaller the pretrace_end, the higher the density the pretrace
can theoretically produce, and the fewer therefore the spots missed
during pretrace, which need to be sampled in the final pass (i.e. the
render proper).

(Theoretically we'd want the final pass sample count to be zero, but
then we also want the render to finish in our lifetime.)