POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Persistence of Vision : Re: Persistence of Vision Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:26:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Persistence of Vision
From: clipka
Date: 6 Jun 2011 18:50:58
Message: <4ded59d2$1@news.povray.org>
Am 06.06.2011 23:20, schrieb Jim Holsenback:

> I've worked on a few thinks, but this post is about needed a bit of
> radiosity help. These are the settings I'm using:
>
> pretrace_start 1/16
> pretrace_end 1/64

I would reduce the pretrace_end...

> count 256

... set count to "256,10000" or some such (not sure whether it will make
much of a difference though)

> error_bound 0.256
> low_error_factor 0.125

... increase the low_error factor (0.5 seems a sane value)...

> nearest_count 12

... and set nearest_count to "20,10" or something alike, to make use of
adaptive pretrace.

> gray_threshold 0
> normal on
>
> .... but as you can see it's still a bit patchy. I don't think count is
> the answer and was wondering if what's needed here is in the missing
> ingredient ... min/max reuse ... right now it's default.

Recently an error has been reported in 3.70RC3 causing noticeable
splotches when using only very few pretrace steps with a high
pretrace_end setting; maybe that's related to what we're seeing here.

Unless you're using the current developers' version, that is. In that
case you're already running with a fix for that error.