POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Complicated : Re: Complicated Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:21:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Complicated
From: clipka
Date: 6 Jun 2011 14:33:33
Message: <4ded1d7d$1@news.povray.org>
Am 06.06.2011 20:07, schrieb Orchid XP v8:

>> This is a well known problem with lots of good solutions, depending on
>> how you implement the interconnections. The problem is that lots of
>> algorithms are inherently sequential.
>
> Sometimes I start thinking like this:
>
> Why do we have computers in the first place?
>
> To do the sorts of calculations that humans suck at.
>
> What sorts of calculations do humans suck at?
>
> Calculations which aren't easily parallelisable.
>
> If this line of logic is correct... um... we may have a problem here.

Fortunately it isn't.

Humans suck at /any/ calculations requiring higher degree of precision
than rule-of-thumb estimates. The human brain is "designed" to work
/despite/ uncertainties rather than avoid or eliminate them.

However, humans also suck at understanding systems, and are much better
at understanding single entities working on a problem sequentially. At
least that's typically true for men - maybe the next generation of
computers needs women as software developers.