POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Complicated : Re: Complicated Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:30:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Complicated
From: clipka
Date: 6 Jun 2011 14:14:34
Message: <4ded190a$1@news.povray.org>
Am 06.06.2011 19:40, schrieb Orchid XP v8:

> I keep hoping that some day somebody will come up with a chip design
> that runs crappy old 16-bit MS-DOS stuff under software emulation, but
> runs real Big Boy software that people might give a damn about on a
> platform with a modern, coherant design. But apparently I'm just
> dreaming...

That's what Intel tried with the Itanium.

"I'm making a note here: Huge Success."

So for the records, it was AMD who convinced people that a backward
compatible 64-bit processor would be a much better idea. And it was the
consumers who bought that message.

In the end it was the users' fear of <Insert Your Favorite 32-bit PC
Video Game Here> running slower than on their older system that won over
any rationale.