POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random fact of the day : Re: Random fact of the day Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:24:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random fact of the day
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Jun 2011 14:05:48
Message: <4ded16fc$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/6/2011 10:32, clipka wrote:
> /Relying/ on the programs /obeying/ anything particular?

Yes, because the executable MSIL code is checked for correctness by code
that has, in turn, been proven to be correct. Just as one example. Or
because the kernel code is mathematically proven to be correct.

Of course, if you corrupt the hardware like in the Sony example, that's
something rather beyond what I'd call "malware".

>  From what you write, it sounds like the inventors of that OS have never
> heard the term "malware" in their whole life.

It's Microsoft. I'm pretty sure they've heard of malware. Indeed, the whole
point of designing it like they did is, for one thing, to keep malware from
running. I'm pretty sure, for example, that there's no formal mathematical
proof that keeps Linux, for example, from letting a process access memory
belonging to another process. Nor is there a mechanism in place in most
operating systems to restrict file access to only those files a program
declares at compile time that it will access, or to keep a device driver
from accessing arbitrary other device addresses, or to limit authorization
based on which program did the authentication. Indeed, in the current
incarnation, it's impossible to modify the collection of executable code
without rebooting the machine; installing a program is the only way to
modify what can be executed, and that in turn requires a reboot. (Altho I'm
pretty sure that's merely a limitation, not a design intention.)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like