POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Rare for a reason : Re: Rare for a reason Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:23:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rare for a reason
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Jun 2011 12:54:21
Message: <4ded063d$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/6/2011 8:51, Invisible wrote:
> OK, I'll bite: Why the hell should anybody, anywhere, *ever* read Macbeth?

Because it's full of words and expressions that are shortcut references to
entire sets of memes in educated society. Just like if someone truly ugly
walks past and I whistle the Wicked Witch of the West theme music, it brings
in a whole packet of memes and concepts which are incomprehensible if you
haven't watched the movie. If you hear something referred to as a "red shirt
assignment" in a military context, you'll have no idea what that means if
you're not familiar with Star Trek. If someone is complaining, and I tell
you "that's just sour grapes", you'll have no idea I'm telling you the same
thing as an "Ar Du" unless you were familiar with the literature of both
Grimm and China.

It's the same thing with shakespear and all those sorts of things. If I told
you he's got a scarlet letter on his chest, you wouldn't know what that
means different from having a scarlet letter on his mantelpiece unless
you're familiar with both those novels. It's just the educated man's way of
saying "African or European Swallow?"

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like