POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Complicated : Re: Complicated Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:24:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Complicated
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Jun 2011 12:04:21
Message: <4decfa85$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/3/2011 7:50, Mike Raiford wrote:
> Don't some RISC processors sort of do this?

Actually, all you need to do is accept that maybe C-like/Algol-like
languages aren't the best approach to programming these types of machines.
FORTH, for example, is very happy doing bunches of work on the local stack
before going explicitly out to external memory, and I've seen designs for
very high-speed FORTH-based chips with 32 or 64 cores per chip that have
relatively little memory contention because of it.

Go to a language model that's either primitive enough (like FORTH) yet close
enough to the chip architecture that you can force the programmer to
structure the algorithm in a way that's efficient, or something high-level
enough (like Hermes or Haskell perhaps) that a Sufficiently Smart Compiler
(TM) can restructure the code appropriately.

> Right.. There would need to be some sort of controller that could transfer
> data from Block A to Block B. Addressing would be quite ... interesting in
> this scheme.

This is a well known problem with lots of good solutions, depending on how
you implement the interconnections. The problem is that lots of algorithms
are inherently sequential.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like