POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : First Book you ever read : Re: First Book you ever read Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:14:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: First Book you ever read
From: Invisible
Date: 6 Jun 2011 11:56:31
Message: <4decf8af$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/06/2011 04:15 PM, Darren New wrote:

> Apparently, what few people ever teach children but which accounts for
> the biggest stumbling block (at least that I've read) is that the words
> are separated by spaces. Too obvious to actually tell a kid that, I
> guess, and jumping from reading individual words to full sentences needs
> that insight. I'm not sure how accurate that research was, but it was an
> interesting thought.

Interesting. I was the worst reader in my class for over a decade, yet I
never had any trouble with that.

(The trouble *I* had was that the English language does not have any
consistent mathematical structure. It's just random. There is no
algorithm to compute the correct spelling for an arbitrary word. The
only way to read and write is to simply *memorise* the spelling of EVERY
WORD IN THE ENTIRE LANGUAGE. This is both extremely difficult and
/highly/ exasperating.)