POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Rare for a reason : Re: Rare for a reason Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:21:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rare for a reason
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Jun 2011 11:27:33
Message: <4decf1e5@news.povray.org>
On 5/29/2011 4:12, Rudy Velthuis wrote:
> simply because it is not very pragmatic not to know them.

Indeed. Actually, there was one event that eventually convinced my very
smart wife that there are *actually* people in the world who are not very
smart. She'd never actually encountered it as a gut feeling before.

We're in a store. We're buying something that's $20, but 60% off. The clerk
is taking *minutes* to try to figure out the price. She finally digs out a
calculator, figures out the answer is 12, and then hopelessly says "But is
that the discount, or the price?" My wife finally snaps and goes "It's 60%!
It's more than half!"

So, yeah, I think you must have at some point memorized the multiplication
tables and used them a bit to get a feeling for such things.

Nowadays, I like to torture people when I buy $10.20 worth of stuff by
giving the person a $20, waiting until they've rung it up, then handing them
another $0.25 coin, and watch them struggle helplessly trying to figure out
what the change should be on their own. (Actually, there's a dilbert about
that that's pretty funny.)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like