POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : First Book you ever read : Re: First Book you ever read Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:22:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: First Book you ever read
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Jun 2011 11:15:07
Message: <4deceefb$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/29/2011 5:57, Stephen wrote:
> On another forum, someone asked, what was the first book you ever read?
>
> Mine was Doctor Dolittle, when I was about 9 or 10. A late starter, I know.

Mine was "the night before christmas".  (You know, the one with saint nick
coming down the chimney, eight reindeer on the roof, all that.) I vividly
remember just suddenly being able to read it, kneeling next to the bed with
a pile of stuff on the bed and looking at the book, and suddenly it made sense.

Apparently, what few people ever teach children but which accounts for the
biggest stumbling block (at least that I've read) is that the words are
separated by spaces. Too obvious to actually tell a kid that, I guess, and
jumping from reading individual words to full sentences needs that insight.
I'm not sure how accurate that research was, but it was an interesting thought.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like