POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Art of Computer Programming : Re: The Art of Computer Programming Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:16:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Art of Computer Programming
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Jun 2011 11:00:46
Message: <4deceb9e$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/24/2011 1:10, Invisible wrote:
> A lot of people seem to think that Godel, Escher, Bach is some kind of
> iconic master work. After slogging through several chapters of dry, dull
> text, I eventually became so bored that I stopped reading it.

Wow. I found most of the text fascinating. I've read it three or four times
end to end, finding something new each time. The way the Tortoise bits align
with the text is fascinating. Indeed, the very fact that it's actually two
books, and he tells you that, and it took me three readings to realize it, I
found fascinating.

> I'm wondering whether it's worth reading TAOCP, or whether it's more of a
> reference tome.

It depends on whether you like reading reference tomes. If you thought GEB
was boring, you're not going to be able to get through TAOCP.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like