POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Finally finished Spain pictures : Re: Finally finished Spain pictures Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:16:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Finally finished Spain pictures
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Jun 2011 10:47:46
Message: <4dece892$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/24/2011 14:03, andrel wrote:
> On 3-5-2011 0:25, Darren New wrote:
>> http://darren.s3.amazonaws.com/Spain2010/index.html
>>
>> Just the best of the best there. :-)
>>

> In general I am curious about what people have more on there website.

I'm not sure what that sentence means. This is hosted on Amazon's S3 site,
which has a REST XML-RPC access to storage. It just so happens that if you
specify a full file name to the GET command, it will return something
compatible with a web browser, RESTfully. If you do a GET on a bucket (the
host name, in this case), you get a top-level listing of all the files
stored on that bucket. (e.g., http://darren.s3.amazonaws.com/ is the bucket,
and GET on that will give you all the files in that bucket in a listing.)
Since buckets technically don't have directories (but rather have files
whose name can include a "/" and ways of wildcarding names that make them
look sort of like directories), doing a GET on darren.../Spain2010 gives you
an error, because there is no such file there.  (I could probably copy the
index.html file to .../Spain2010 and .../Spain2010/ but I haven't taken the
time to do that.)

Amazon only recently came out with the feature to map your own URLs into
specific files (i.e., map darren.example.com to
darren.s3.amazonaws.com/Spain2010/index.html) and I haven't had the time to
set that up.  Maybe for the Great Britian pics.

> If I cut the last part, I get an XML file with the contents of your home
> page. Not sure if this is intended this way.

You get the contents of the "bucket". It's because Amazon S3 is hosting it,
and Amazon S3 is more designed as a storage mechanism than a web host
mechanism. It just happens to work for web hosting as well. It's probably
the same code Amazon uses to host their own shopping pages and such.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like