POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Speedy thing goes in... : Re: Speedy thing goes in... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:18:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speedy thing goes in...
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 5 Jun 2011 17:38:14
Message: <4debf746@news.povray.org>
>> Personally, I dislike quick-starter services. They're a waste of
>> resources.
> I share your opinion on those. I hunt them down, and kill them, as much
> as I can.

If it works as intended, it's making one application faster by making
every other application in the system slower. How selfish is that?

> 2 - The AV is to agressive. Scanned files should be remembered, and,
> unless they have been changed, skipped on the next scan.

Don't you just love the way most AV product insist on down periodic
manual scans?

1. If a file is never opened, it doesn't *matter* how's inside it. It
can't possibly run.

2. If a file is opened, the on-demand scanner will scan it anyway.
There's no need to do a manual scan as well.

3. I've yet to see any AV product which "remembers" which files it's
scanned and stops rescanning them unless they changed. (Presumably
because that would make it too easy for a virus to slip past; just tweak
the file timestamp...)

For that matter, I've yet to see an AV product that's any good at
*removing* malware. Most of them will *detect* an infection, but they do
an utterly crap job of *removing* it.

> 3 - Yes, the AV need to uncompress and extract files from any archive if
> it wants to scan it's content. JARs are compressed archives.

A Jar file is just a Zip file. (Actually, a surprising number of files
are just orginary Zip files...) But yes, if it's loading a lot of Jar
files, that would explain it. I don't know what JQS is loading. Maybe
just [uncompressed] executable files, IDK.

> If it's impossible to turn JQS off, then you kill the process, then you
> delete JQS.exe.

That's probably not an especially good idea; the product repair routine
will probably restore it for you.

Actually, I just checked my system. JQS is a normal Windows service.
Just configure it to not run at startup. Done.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/