POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Speedy thing goes in... : Re: Speedy thing goes in... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:26:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speedy thing goes in...
From: Alain
Date: 5 Jun 2011 17:29:39
Message: <4debf543$1@news.povray.org>

> On 03/06/2011 09:30 PM, clipka wrote:
>
>> Since Update 10, Oracle's Java SE 6.0 comes with a tool called "Java
>> Quick Starter" (JQS). Its purpose? To speed up starting Java software,
>> by loading the most commonly used stuff ahead of time.
>>
>> And loading ahead of time it does.
>
> I'm pretty sure JQS has been there for years. Lots of software does this
> (e.g., Acrobat Reader). The idea, presumably, is to load stuff into
> memory ahead of time.
I don't know how long, but I think that it was there with Java SE 5.x.

> Except that isn't this the entire point of the Windows prefetch cache?
> Also, won't the unused data simply get swapped back out to disk after a
> while? (Thus utterly defeating the entire purpose of it.) Unless you
> lock the pages in memory
OR you reload the stuff periodicaly to reinitiate the countdown...

- in which case you're taking resources away
> from applications that *definitely* need to run in order to benefit an
> application which *might* need to run at some unspecified future point.
>
> Personally, I dislike quick-starter services. They're a waste of resources.
I share your opinion on those. I hunt them down, and kill them, as much
as I can.

>> It does this not only once though, but - for whatever sake - every
>> bloody hour. Over and over again. The same bloody files. Which on my
>> system (maybe due to a sinister conspiration with the Anti-Virus
>> software I use) takes about 1 or 2 /minutes/ each time. Oh, and did I
>> mention that all this time it starves every other piece of software
>> running from hard disk I/O?
>
> OK, that's pretty screwed up. It shouldn't take anywhere near that long.
> (Unless your AV product is decompressing all the JAR files to check
> there's no viruses inside them...)
1 - It reloads the files to prevent them been pushed on the page file.
2 - The AV is to agressive. Scanned files should be remembered, and,
unless they have been changed, skipped on the next scan.
3 - Yes, the AV need to uncompress and extract files from any archive if
it wants to scan it's content. JARs are compressed archives.

>> Did I mention that the official procedure how to turn off this bullshit
>> mysteriously doesn't work on my machine? >_<
>
> It's news to me that there's even an official procedure to turn it off...
>
>> (Fortunately I stayed resolute and resourceful in an atmosphere of utter
>> pessimism...)
>
> Outstanding! You <subject name here> must be the pride of <subject
> hometown here>.

If it's impossible to turn JQS off, then you kill the process, then you
delete JQS.exe.