POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Speedy thing goes in... : Re: Speedy thing goes in... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:29:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speedy thing goes in...
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 5 Jun 2011 07:24:59
Message: <4deb678b$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/06/2011 09:30 PM, clipka wrote:

> Since Update 10, Oracle's Java SE 6.0 comes with a tool called "Java
> Quick Starter" (JQS). Its purpose? To speed up starting Java software,
> by loading the most commonly used stuff ahead of time.
>
> And loading ahead of time it does.

I'm pretty sure JQS has been there for years. Lots of software does this
(e.g., Acrobat Reader). The idea, presumably, is to load stuff into
memory ahead of time.

Except that isn't this the entire point of the Windows prefetch cache?
Also, won't the unused data simply get swapped back out to disk after a
while? (Thus utterly defeating the entire purpose of it.) Unless you
lock the pages in memory - in which case you're taking resources away
from applications that *definitely* need to run in order to benefit an
application which *might* need to run at some unspecified future point.

Personally, I dislike quick-starter services. They're a waste of resources.

> It does this not only once though, but - for whatever sake - every
> bloody hour. Over and over again. The same bloody files. Which on my
> system (maybe due to a sinister conspiration with the Anti-Virus
> software I use) takes about 1 or 2 /minutes/ each time. Oh, and did I
> mention that all this time it starves every other piece of software
> running from hard disk I/O?

OK, that's pretty screwed up. It shouldn't take anywhere near that long.
(Unless your AV product is decompressing all the JAR files to check
there's no viruses inside them...)

> Did I mention that the official procedure how to turn off this bullshit
> mysteriously doesn't work on my machine? >_<

It's news to me that there's even an official procedure to turn it off...

> (Fortunately I stayed resolute and resourceful in an atmosphere of utter
> pessimism...)

Outstanding! You <subject name here> must be the pride of <subject
hometown here>.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/