POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Speedy thing goes in... : Speedy thing goes in... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:29:04 EDT (-0400)
  Speedy thing goes in...
From: clipka
Date: 3 Jun 2011 16:30:40
Message: <4de94470$1@news.povray.org>
Okay, figure this out:

Since Update 10, Oracle's Java SE 6.0 comes with a tool called "Java
Quick Starter" (JQS). Its purpose? To speed up starting Java software,
by loading the most commonly used stuff ahead of time.

And loading ahead of time it does.

It does this not only once though, but - for whatever sake - every
bloody hour. Over and over again. The same bloody files. Which on my
system (maybe due to a sinister conspiration with the Anti-Virus
software I use) takes about 1 or 2 /minutes/ each time. Oh, and did I
mention that all this time it starves every other piece of software
running from hard disk I/O?

Heck, maybe it /does/ speed up startup of Java software, but seriously:

*I DON'T GIVE A BLOODY DAMN!*

Did I mention that the official procedure how to turn off this bullshit
mysteriously doesn't work on my machine? >_<

(Fortunately I stayed resolute and resourceful in an atmosphere of utter
pessimism...)