POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random fact of the day : Re: Random fact of the day Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:17:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random fact of the day
From: clipka
Date: 2 Jun 2011 11:02:05
Message: <4de7a5ed$1@news.povray.org>
Am 02.06.2011 16:38, schrieb Invisible:
>>> I suspect that an OS is subject to some *serious* network effects. It's
>>> an interesting toy project to write an OS in language XYZ, but once
>>> you've done it, what are you going to use it for?
>>
>> I think a much more important thing than "what [language] is it written
>> /in/" is the question "what is it written /for/".
>
> Now you're talking.
>
>> In case of a Haskell
>> OS I don't know what that would be, but in case of a Java OS it seems
>> plain as hell: Run JVM bytecode. Applications are plenty for that.
>
> Has anybody written anything more substantial than Tic-Tac-Toe applets
> in Java yet?

Java Enterprise applications, anyone?
OpenOffice?
Eclipse?
Minecraft?

Just four examples of non-trivial software from four different domains
(business software, office software, software development, and gaming)
that pop to my mind instantaneously.

> That makes you start to think what /other/ kinds of services you might
> want the OS to provide. For example, this whole "a command is a file
> name, and its arguments are strings passed uninterpretted to the
> program" thing. Surely we can do better.

Like, say, passing messages to the program after it has been started?

I don't see much of a point in an elaborate interface to feed parameters
at the very moment of startup; after all, the program can't evaluate
them anyway until it has at least "started up a bit", so pushing the
same information into a message queue seems to be pretty equivalent to me.

Unless, of course, we'd go all the way of allowing programms to pass
around full-fledged Java objects to children, parents, or any other
program they happen to have a handle object for.

Of course, to go for cloud computing, passing around objects should be
transparent, via marshalling and stuff - and in the end we'd probably
end up re-inventing the Java Enterprise architecture...