POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random fact of the day : Re: Random fact of the day Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:20:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random fact of the day
From: clipka
Date: 2 Jun 2011 09:24:16
Message: <4de78f00@news.povray.org>
Am 02.06.2011 14:17, schrieb Invisible:
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaOS
>>>
>>> (Note the "see also" section as well.)
>>
>> Hm... latest news from any of those projects date from January 2009...
>> so no, not enough momentum as it seems.
>
> At some point, a couple of guys implemented an OS in Haskell.

Ah - yes...

> And once they'd done it, they said "well, that was fun!", and the
> project vanished into history.
>
> I suspect that an OS is subject to some *serious* network effects. It's
> an interesting toy project to write an OS in language XYZ, but once
> you've done it, what are you going to use it for?

I think a much more important thing than "what [language] is it written
/in/" is the question "what is it written /for/". In case of a Haskell
OS I don't know what that would be, but in case of a Java OS it seems
plain as hell: Run JVM bytecode. Applications are plenty for that.

> (I guess this leads us back to the dead-end OSes with decades of
> backwards compatibility kludges...)

Yep.

For instance, the virtual memory management of an OS dedicated to
running JVM bytecode could easily provide built-in support for garbage
collection.