POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random fact of the day : Re: Random fact of the day Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:26:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random fact of the day
From: Invisible
Date: 2 Jun 2011 08:17:12
Message: <4de77f48$1@news.povray.org>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaOS
>>
>> (Note the "see also" section as well.)
>
> Hm... latest news from any of those projects date from January 2009...
> so no, not enough momentum as it seems.

At some point, a couple of guys implemented an OS in Haskell.

And once they'd done it, they said "well, that was fun!", and the
project vanished into history.

I suspect that an OS is subject to some *serious* network effects. It's
an interesting toy project to write an OS in language XYZ, but once
you've done it, what are you going to use it for?

(I guess this leads us back to the dead-end OSes with decades of
backwards compatibility kludges...)