POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Rare for a reason : Re: Rare for a reason Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:18:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rare for a reason
From: Alain
Date: 25 May 2011 16:25:07
Message: <4ddd65a3@news.povray.org>

> On 24/05/2011 21:40, andrel wrote:
>
>> The whole point of learning multiplication tables by heart is that you
>> need them to do all other computations in base 10.
>
> Most people would consider that you need a calculator to do any
> computations in base 10, beyond really trivial ones.

Trivial, like multiplying 2 random phone numbers in your head? :P
I've done that several times, just for the /fun/...
Take some random 10 digits number, then another random 7 digit number.
OK. Now, without paper, what is the product? Hint, it's 17 digit long,
possibly 18. Your pocket calculator can't give you the exact result.

>> If you don't know them by heart a large part of our culture is
>> inaccessible to you.
>
> Such as?

>> I'll join you.
>
> I fear for the future of society, but for many reasons in addition to
> this...

:P Alain