POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Persistence of Vision : Re: Persistence of Vision Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:24:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Persistence of Vision
From: stbenge
Date: 24 May 2011 14:39:38
Message: <4ddbfb6a@news.povray.org>
On 5/21/2011 1:46 PM, Stephen wrote:
> On 21/05/2011 8:58 PM, stbenge wrote:
>> I was going from what I could find here:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_architecture and also from the few
>> buildings I've seen by Frank Lloyd Wright. There are some interesting
>> ideas spanning many different styles, but by and large, most designs
>> tend toward the utilitarian (form follows function) and simplistic.But
>> I won't deny that there /are/ some buildings that manage to be useful
>> /and/ look good.
>
> Well you are not alone in your views. I could say that you are in the
> company of Prince Charles but I'm not that cruel. ;-)
> This is a difficult subject to be objective about.
> I saw many examples of attractive buildings in the link you posted. But
> then I was brought up in Glasgow, a very industrial city in my youth.

Some of those buildings were just horrible, others were better. My
dislike of modern architecture is probably not going to stop me from
rendering such things in the future, though. I might have already...

> see beauty in lots of industrial settings. I even found the Oil Rigs I
> worked on had a strange beauty.

Yeah. There's this old cement plant nearby, totally industrial. Ugly
stuff, though strangely captivating. A blast to explore simply for its
nightmarish aspect (and the dizzying heights).

> I wonder, do you like the music of Bach?

Somewhat.

>> As a person who loves detailed art and stylized geometry, I find most
>> modern architecture boring and just a little soul-destroying.
>
> I do think that most modern housing is an eyesore.

Especially when the same design is copied over and over, in a big row :(