POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Untitled S.F. [W.I.P.] : Re: Untitled S.F. [W.I.P.] Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:17:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Untitled S.F. [W.I.P.]
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 23 May 2011 03:17:13
Message: <4dda09f9$1@news.povray.org>
"Anthony D. Baye" <Sha### [at] spamnomorehotmailcom> schreef in bericht
> I adapted the method Thomas suggested, using the following settings:
>
> media {
>     intervals 10
>     scattering {
>          5, <0.05, 0.17, 0.3>*0.05
>          extinction 1.0
>          eccentricity -0.23
>          }
>     samples 50
>     absorption rgb <0.95, 0.55, 0.3>*0.05
>     density {
>          function {exp( -(sqrt(x*x+y*y+z*z)-63870)/4 )}
>          density_map {
>               [0 rgb 0.0]
>               [1 rgb 0.1]
>               }
>          }
>     }
>
> Radiosity (The good settings):
>
> radiosity {
>     pretrace_start 0.01
>     pretrace_end   0.005
>     count 600
>
>     nearest_count 12
>     error_bound 0.1
>     recursion_limit 3
>     low_error_factor 0.2
>     gray_threshold 0.2
>     minimum_reuse 0.015
>     brightness 0.58
>
>     adc_bailout 0.01/2
>     }
>
> I know that 1 interval is supposed to be sufficient, and it may have to do
> with
> my scale, but with only 1 interval I get a ring-effect in the media
> radiating
> outward from the point of greatest light intensity.

As method 3 is the default, intervals should *always* remain 1. I think that
you also should use scattering 1 instead of  5 which probably creates the
ring effect.

> The absorption was added because the original media gave the planet a
> reddish
> cast.

The reddish cast happens mainly at the terminator line, as it happens in RL
too ;-)

> These settings seem to work fairly well, except that the atmosphere is a
> too
> dense.

Decrease the scattering rgb even further. Try <0.05, 0.17, 0.3>*0.005 for
start and go on from there.

In the radiosity block, imo you should keep recursion_limit=1

In my posts here, entitled Fun with PlanetGenesis, in January 2011, you can
see the results of my settings. My render time (on a dual core) is also much
lower than yours. A couple of hours at most.

Thomas