POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More accurate spectrogram : More accurate spectrogram Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:24:50 EDT (-0400)
  More accurate spectrogram
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 20 May 2011 11:30:38
Message: <4dd6891e$1@news.povray.org>
So,

I was watching Mythbusters the other day, and they were testing movie
sounds against the real thing. I noticed the sound engineer they hired
to record and analyze the sounds had an unusual looking spectrogram of
the sound. It looked almost like a woven tapestry of frequencies, rather
than the usual buckets of FFT information. I had seen it before when I
was looking at FFT filtering and analysis.

Turns out, by looking at the /phase/ of the signal in addition to the
frequency and differentiating that with a previous sample and FFT
bucket, you can find out where in that block the sound should lie. It
only works well, of course when there's a single sound at a time in the
bucket, more frequencies stacked on top of each other in a single bucket
during a single sample interval means it can't actually do the
approximation, and will result in scattering. But, in situations where
the harmonics don't share a space, you can get a much more accurate
picture of what the frequencies are. (rather than everything being a
power of 2)

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0903/0903.3080v1.pdf

in a similar (and somewhat amusing) vein, I discovered this way back as
well:

http://www.cerlsoundgroup.org/Kelly/soundmorphing.html

--
~Mike