POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Untitled S.F. [W.I.P.] : Re: Untitled S.F. [W.I.P.] Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:13:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Untitled S.F. [W.I.P.]
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 20 May 2011 07:58:53
Message: <4dd6577d$1@news.povray.org>
"Anthony D. Baye" <Sha### [at] spamnomorehotmailcom> schreef in bericht
> Just started this last night (That would be Wednesday for me).  It seems
> to be
> coming along nicely, but I'm having a few problems.
>
> First, I like the starfield, but I'd like to have more color, possibly a
> nebula,
> maybe a few close stars.

There is the galaxy.inc macro by Chris Colefax, though I am not sure where
it resides nowadays... I have a copy if you want.

> Second, the planet.  It's supposed to have an atmosphere, but I can't seem
> get it to work.  The scale is 12 units to 100 meters or 3:25 scale, which
> makes
> the gate roughly 6km across.  I'm currently looking at the gate, which is
> in
> orbit around the planet at a distance of 35,768km

The following code is by Tek and creates a nice atmosphere:
//start code
  //atmosphere by Tek
  difference {
    sphere { 0, 21.1 }
    sphere { 0, 20.0 }
    hollow
    pigment { rgbt 1 }
    interior {
      media {
        scattering {
          1, rgb <0.05, 0.17, 0.3>*1
          extinction 1
        }
        density {
          function {exp( -(sqrt(x*x+y*y+z*z)-20)/4 )}
          density_map {
            [0 rgb 0.0]
            [1 rgb 0.1]
          }