POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More Haskell fanning : Re: More Haskell fanning Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:20:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More Haskell fanning
From: Darren New
Date: 19 May 2011 17:13:52
Message: <4dd58810$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/19/2011 11:18, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> people with this priviledge can access stuff they shouldn't be able to look at.

Sure. But that's different from bypassing the ACLs. :-)

If you really want to prevent that, encrypt the file. (Something else Linux
doesn't have quite the same.)

> Fair enough. For example, under Linux there are apparently at least 3
> different [incompatible] ways to access the sound hardware. Isn't that
> wonderful?

Actually, I think there's one way to access the sound hardware: /dev/audio.
There's a variety of servers acting as intermediaries, because for the most
part, while UNIX is a multi-user system, they never quite got the whole
"login" concept into the system.

> Right. So for desktop computers it's a non-issue?

Pretty much, yes. As I said, anything with demand paging is probably not
going to bother supporting overlays.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like