POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More Haskell fanning : Re: More Haskell fanning Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:22:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More Haskell fanning
From: Darren New
Date: 19 May 2011 11:14:42
Message: <4dd533e2$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/19/2011 1:35, Invisible wrote:
> Perform volume maintenance tasks: Administrators

OK, thanks!

> Also in there is "take ownership of files". In other words, bypass ACLs.

Take ownership isn't exactly bypass ACLs.

>> Maybe if you're doing it thru the explorer?
> How else would you change a file's permissions?

Via the API that explorer uses.

>>> Oh yeah. TRWTF is 8.3 names.
>> What about them?
> They still exist. And grown up programs sometimes end up using them.

Oh, well, yes. Backwards compatibility and all.

> I mean, if you want to launch a program from the CLI, you just type its
> name. But there isn't a command like "open Blue.ogg" which will fire up the
> default application and load the named file.

start index.html

The command is "start".

> Actually, you know what? There's probably one type database for KDE,

Originally it was Apache that needed it, since Apache had to deliver mime
types based on file extensions or content.

> In short, it's an incoherent nightmare, just like almost everything else in
> Unix.

A strength and a weakness.

>> Mac files had two forks. One was the data fork, which is just like a
>> UNIX file. The other is the resource fork, which had structured blobs,
>> each defined by a type and a size, maybe a name, etc. So what you see in
>> a Windows executable as a "resource" file was actually the resource fork
>> of a Mac application or data file.
>
> I see... I think! o_O

It was a nice idea. You could install fonts into the global space, or into
the executable for the word processor, or into an individual document that
used that font. You could localize a program after it was completely
finished just by adding resources to the executable. Stuff like that.

Oh, and chunks of code were also resources, so by calling code chunks, you'd
wind up loading dynamically the appropriate code resources, so you got
overlays for free, basically.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like